The government will prioritize development projects in 2021. Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed said that by speeding up the completion of these projects, the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the economy can be reduced.
Mustapa, the Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Economic Affairs), said that for the sake of the economy, the government had provided financial provisions for the completion of small and medium projects. These provisions are part of the Economic Stimulus Package (PRE) as well as the Prihatin package. The financial value of these provisions is RM4 billion.
Mustapa also said that at the end of November, 8,157 out of a possible 8,559 projects had been offered to contractors. These contractors were in classes G1, G2, and G3. The projects were part of PRE.
Out of 4,658 projects under Prihatin, meanwhile, 3,758 of them were offered to contractors of the same classes.
Mustapa also clarified the government’s expenses on development in the new national budget. According to the details of Budget 2021, the government will spend a total of RM69 billion on development. Of this money, 45% of it will be used to continue new projects. The remaining 55% will finance new projects.
Ministries must now submit implementation plans for projects in 2021 to the office of the Chief Secretary to the Government. Ministries must do so by Dec 31.
In a statement yesterday, Mustapa said, “The decision was made during the meeting on the Development Project Implementation Planning for 2021 jointly chaired by (the Chief Secretary to the Government, Tan Sri Mohd Zuki Ali and me) today.”
“The meeting was held to find ways to speed up the continuation of projects and ensure that new projects could be implemented expeditiously next year as they would give significant multiplier effects to the country,” he added.
Mustapa added that project implementation saw much improvement because of the relaxation of several rules during the Movement Control Order (MCO). These measures expedited the proper allocation of development expenditure.
He also urged the public sector to continue spending money to benefit the economy. This was due to the fact that the private sector faces significant challenges in its efforts to revitalize the country’s economy.
Mustapa emphasized the government’s commitment to project implementation. He stressed that authorities will do all they can to ensure that projects will be implemented as soon as possible. Projects intended for public use would receive additional focus.
“(There are no problems with continuing) 3,834 projects. However, early and meticulous planning is very important to ensure that 2,558 new projects can be carried out smoothly next year,” he said.
2nd December 2020 07:32
This article brought to you by Legacy Times 传城时代