PKR central leadership council member Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad has dismissed the speculation that the Pakatan Harapan coalition has reached a consensus on the prime ministerial candidate.
He said it was not fair to force his president Anwar Ibrahim to accept Dr Mahathir Mohamad as the candidate to leader Pakatan Harapan Plus after what had happened before this.
He said Anwar was the best choice to lead the nation. He also reminded the recent political turmoil caused by Mahathir’s decision when he submitted resignation to the royal.
Mahathir’s actions on the issue of power transition were the source of uncertainty when PH became the federal government, he added.
The political crisis that erupted in February was due to Mahathir’s resignation of the prime minister without consulting his Pakatan Harapan comrades and was convinced that Umno and PAS MPs to support him.
“It would be unfair to force Anwar to accept Mahathir as the 9th PM candidate, especially with what he has been through.
“Malaysia needs a fresh start, a clean government focused on a more just and equitable economy for all people. The best candidate is Anwar,” he was quoted as saying.
Previously, Anwar has apologised to the people for delaying the announcement of Pakatan Harapan’s prime minister candidacy.
He said component parties in Pakatan Harapan such as PKR, Amanah and DAP have already made decisions on the issue of the prime minister, but they want to refer to coalition partners like Warisan and pro-Mahathir groups in the PPBM.
Anwar’s aide Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak has urged both DAP and Amanah to state their opinion and pledge supports for Anwar as the candidate for prime minister post.
He said Amanah’s and DAP’s statement was disappointing and unjustified (for not standing firm for Anwar).
“Is this how they repay Anwar for the friendship that they built over 20 years?”
He said Anwar was facing many challenges and often labeled as someone who is liberal and unfriendly towards the Malay community because of his fidelity to the DAP.
Meanwhile, DAP national organising secretary Anthony Loke said Pakatan Harapan and its allies have been exploring the two possible combinations of prime ministers and deputy prime ministers.
He said at first, Anwar was nominated as prime minister and Mukhriz Mahathir as his deputy.
However, the combo did not receive support from its allies, so a new proposal was raised, which proposed Mahathir as prime minister with Anwar as his deputy.
Loke said that they handed it (with the Mahathir-Anwar coalition) over to Anwar to decide, waiting for him to whether to accept it or not.
“The deadline was supposed to be yesterday. But to date, we have not heard anything from Anwar officially. This is his position now,” he said.
The Seremban MP said he was hoping that PKR would not delay the announcement any longer and state their stand immediately.
The announcement on the candidates was scheduled to be made, supposedly on June 16.
He said it was important for PKR to state whether or not the party has agreed with the proposal or not.
“There needs to be a clear direction for the next step. There can be no uncertainty … Once we make the decision, we can move forward. This is DAP’s stance.
“We decided to speak (publicly) today because we wanted a decision. We want the deadline to be met and we don’t want any unethical leadership in Pakatan Harapan,” he said.
18th June 2020 11:33
This article brought to you by Legacy Times 传城时代